NURS12146 – Person Centred Approach to Chronic Illness
Assessment 1 (Written assessment)- Case Study:
Bill is a 69 year old retired coal miner. He has worked underground for 31 years. Lately he has been having problems breathing and gets breathless when walking. He has never smoked. He enjoys a few beers each day with mates at the local club but is finding it more difficult to walk there.
In the last few days his problems with breathing have become worse so he attends his GP and is referred to the local hospital. At the hospital, after tests, he is found to have a chronic infection in his lungs and obstruction in his airways. The doctor can hear wheezing on auscultation of Bill’s lungs. He appears anxious and has a persistent cough which he says he has had for “for a couple of years but a good cough in the morning helps”. In the last few days he has noticed some green sputum when coughing. He is 178 cms in height and weighs 73 kilos. His BP is 144/89 mmHg, pulse 88 beats per minute and respiratory rate is 27 per minute. Oxygen saturations are at 92% on room air.
He is diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and currently has an upper respiratory chest infection.
Bill tells you that he is worried and wants to know what COPD is and what caused it. He tells you that someone said he had to alter his lifestyle but he does not know what that involves and would like you to tell him what he needs to do. He says that he has lost weight recently and does not have much of an appetite. He has been prescribed ipratropium bromide inhaler BD and needs education on how to use it. He has also been prescribed a course of Doxycycline 100mg TDS.
INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS
Provide in essay format an outline of the education and advice that you would provide to Bill prior to his return home. Your discussion should include information in relation to COPD, lifestyle choices for Bill and education on how to use his inhaler safely.
The word count for this report is 2000 word.
A 10% leeway on either side of the word limit will be accepted. Word count will be measured from the first word of the introduction to the last word of the conclusion and does not include in-text referencing, contents page (if headings are used), and reference list.
Referencing is APA.
You will require
1. A title page
2. A contents page if you use headings.
3. Show that you have read widely on the subject by using recent peer reviewed journal articles not more than five years old in addition to any other references you use.
4. Discussion needs to be linked to the case study provided and written in third person.
5. The assignment requires a size 12 font and double line spacing.
6. A suggestion for headings could include but are not limited to:-
• COPD causes and treatment
• Education on medication
7. Include a cover page with student name, student number, course code, term/ year, name of course coordinator name of assignment and due date for submission.
8. Include a header with your student name and number and a footer with page numbers.