Watch the documentary video “King Corn”. You may watch it in hulu (probably for free), or rent it (Netflix) or check out from local public library. Then answer following questions.
1. Explain the “agricultural value chain” in the process of producing animal feed from corn. Pay attention to following steps: corn farmer, harvester, grain elevator, etc.
2. Explain the “agricultural value chain” in the process of producing high fructose corn syrup from corn. Pay attention to following steps: corn farmer, harvester, grain elevator, etc.
3. Why is growing corn more profitable than growing fruits and vegetables? Explain.
4. What was the major policy change in production agriculture that went into effect in 1973? What was the name of the Act? What are the impacts of that policy change on U.S. corn production and price?
5. At some point in the video it says “if you are less than 30 years old, you have probably not eaten a burger made with grass-fed beef cattle”. Most of you fall into this age category (if not for all). Tell me what you feel about it.
Please answer each question separately.