DB04 Transitional Manager
After you read Module5_DB4_Instructions, then read the textbook PDF called TextBook_Module5_Intro.pdf. This pdf discussions
what case studies and other info for module 5. You only need to focus on part of it that talks about Dennis Hightower – Walt Disney’s
Transitional Manager case study and the readings. Once you read that, then you can start with reading the other PDFs before to start on
the discussion board post assignment.
Module 5 Discussion Board 4 Post Below.
In the case, Dennis Hightower – Walt Disney’s Transitional Manager, you are introduced to how Hightower knit together a federation
of independent country operations and created an effective center linking local subsidiaries to the center. As noted in the case, the
process was extremely complex and placed immense demands on Hightower. Specifically it required him to demonstrate intensive
management of relationships, appropriate position of people, careful delegation of responsibility and active nurturing of a healthy
work environment. As you reflect on the overall change in company culture; respond to the following prompts as you prepare your DB
thread for this assignment:
1. Evaluate the pacing and sequencing of Hightower’s actions from 88 to 94’
2. How would you evaluate his approach to bringing about change in his organization? Compare his approach with that of Jack Welch.
3. What should Hightower do about the apparel business?
4. What are some of the challenges of building a transnational organization?
I have uploaded the readings from the book Jick, T. D., & Peiperl, M. A. (2011). Managing change. The readings are
Textbook Module 5 (page 405)
•Walt Disney’s Dennis Hightower: Taking Charge – WD_TakingCharge.pdf (page 410)
•Dennis Hightower: Walt Disney’s Transitional Manager – WD_TransitionalManager.pdf (page 415)
•Bob Knowling’s Change Manual – Change_Manual.pdf (page 423)
The rubric states the following:
0 to 15 points
1. All key components of the Discussion Board Forum prompt are addressed in the thread.
0 to 35 points
Major points are supported by the following:
1. Reading & Study materials;
2. Pertinent, conceptual, or personal examples;
3. Thoughtful analysis (considering assumptions, analyzing implications, and comparing/contrasting concepts);
4. Citations in current APA format; and 550 words minimum
5. Integration of at least 2 peer-reviewed articles not from the readings